Subject: PCMCIA cards and power control while suspending etc.
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Lloyd Parkes <lloyd@must-have-coffee.gen.nz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/20/2000 10:22:57
I have written a driver for a PCMCIA ethernet card, and I am trying to work
the last few kinks out of it. I have written an activate function for it that
calls the necessary PCMCIA functions to power the card up and down. When the
machine boots, the card is powered down, and when the interface is brought up,
the card powers up, and when the interface is brought down, the card powers
down.

So far so good. When the laptop suspends itself, the PCMCIA card (along with
everything else) is powered down. My problem is that the card doesn't power
back up when the laptop comes back to life. I have put some debugging printfs
in the code, and the activate function doesn't seem to be being called either
before or after the laptop is suspended.

Is there some magic switch that I have forgotten to throw? I should mention
that the laptop is a Compaq Contura 400C and the APM BIOS has a few known
defects.

Thanks,
Lloyd