Subject: Driver and thread model
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: =?utf-8?Q?Thorbj=C3=B6rn Jemander?= <tj@linnea-systems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/11/2000 05:28:09
Hi!

I'm new to NetBSD, so pardon my ignorance. I'm not
sure this question really fits this list; if not, please
tell me the right forum.

Anyway, I have two questions. Pointers or references
will do as answers:

1. How does NetBSD schedule threads with different
priorities? Is there any (soft) 'real-time level' as in
e.g. BeOS? If not, is there some legal way for a thread
to run uniterrupted for a 'longer' period of time (i.e. longer
than the scheduler time quanta)?

2. Can the kernel reschedule immediately on the release of
a semaphore (released in a kernel driver)? What kind of latency
would you expect between the release and the start of the
execution of the thread? (On, say, a pretty standard x86
system, ms or us?)

Best regards,
Thorbjörn Jemander