Subject: DaemonNews article about boot speedups
To: None <czen@cs.columbia.edu, raghav@nymed.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/05/2000 04:52:12
Hi,

I've just read the DaemonNews article about speeding up the NetBSD boot
process by saving SCSI device probes. I wonder if hardcoding devices in
the kernel would be of the same effect:

ahc0    at pci? dev 9 function ?        #HF# Adaptec AHA2940U, aic78x0 SCSI
scsibus0 at ahc0                        #HF#
sd0     at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0      #HF# SCSI disk: 2GB DORS (NT)
sd1     at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0      #HF# SCSI disk: 4GB DCAS (ccd0 part 1)
sd2     at scsibus0 target 4 lun 0      #HF# SCSI disk: 4GB DCAS (ccd0 part 2)

Without having any wildcard devices (scsibus*, sd?, ahc?) in the kernel.
Will this have the same speedup effect, or are the devices in the kernel
config file still prone to expensive probes?

(I've written a perl script to generate such a optimized kernel config
file from a template and dmesg output long time ago, see
www.feyrer.de/Misc/adjustkernel)

 - Hubert

P.S.: Thanks & congratulations to Chen & Raghav for this article!

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>