Subject: RE: Using gdb with NetBSD
To: 'Nathan J. Williams' <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: Ferrari, Stephen <smf@pirus.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/29/2000 18:33:28
Nathan -

Thanks for the response.  I happened to have gdb-4.18 (vs. the 4.17 you
recommended) already downloaded so I built that and sure enough, it works
much better.  The only strangeness I've observed so far is some very long
multi-second pauses, sometimes when stepping over very simple statements,
sometimes in the middle of .  Since this is my first experience with gdb I'm
not sure whether that's to be expected, but I can live with it.

Unfortunately, I have to admit that I changed two other variables at the
same time as I downgraded gdb:

* I brought down the latest version of Cygnus tools before building gdb.
(Embarrassed to admit why, but it happened.)
* I specified --host=i686-pc-cygwin32 for this build, vs.
--host=i686-pc-cygwin (without the "32") previously

I'd guess that the version of gdb is the bigger variable, but if people
would like me to build gdb-5.0 in my current environment with
host=i686-pc-cygwin32 and try it out, let me know.  Or should I be mailing
to bug-gdb for this kind of thing?

Thanks much for the help,

	Stephen