Subject: Re: Adding bootverbose
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromír Doleček <dolecek@ibis.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/09/2000 10:50:27
ITOH Yasufumi wrote:
> What happens if both 'verbose' and 'quiet' are set? :-)

This case is okay (if user wants it, don't prevent them do so).

> The boot programs are not necessarily compiled by the toolchain in NetBSD.
> I don't think depending on gcc is a good thing.

What makes it depend on gcc ?

> "-a" is not common, it seems....

-a means RB_ASKNAME commonly, though couple of ports use it to mean "autoboot"
(alpha, atari from those I can name off my head).
In flag handling code, the port specific flag handling goes first
and boot_flag() is used only for previously unrecognized flags.

> Hmm, bootverbose and bootquiet are not variables and
> variable-like macros might be confusing.
>
> Isn't it enough to use "boothowto & AB_xxx" everywhere?

There is already previous art WRT this in FreeBSD and I belive BSDi.
It also hides an implementation details a bit and is slighly more
obvious.

> It'd be nice if the usage mesage is also updated. :)

Sure, thanks :)

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/