Subject: Re: New mount flag: `usergid', comments
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/01/2000 14:23:27
On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Frank van der Linden wrote:

: The NFS mount option should be called "grpid". This option is mentioned
: by this name in the (X)NFS specification, and other vendors use that name,
: so we should be compatible with that.

Since it has a name in prior art, I'll name the option "grpid" with inverted
logic.  (The mount.h flag would be MNT_NOGRPID, to keep binary compatibility
with old mount options.)

Note, however, that our NFS implementation doesn't obey System V semantics
either; it obeys "server" semantics--at least for V2, as in mkdir() at
src/sys/nfs/nfs_vnops.c(1.115):1824, which sets gid to nfs_xdrneg1.  We may
need an additional NFS-specific mount flag to differentiate historic
"server" semantics from "obey client [no]grpid" semantics.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/