Subject: Re: bus_dmamem accessors
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/31/2000 13:44:24
> (1) several drivers should be converted over to using interfaces like
> them, and

On point to this is that I just completed a Solaris extension of my Qlogic/isp
driver, where I had to, like the sparclinux extension, revisit the kinds of
funky swapping issues we're talking about. Since the NetBSD sparc64 port
exists (which I've not had time to boot yet), I'd bet there were a lot of
silly issues similar to this.

So, I'm willing to be, as time permits, a guinea pig tester for some of the
proposed interfaces- possibly to start around the middle of this month (I'm
about to check in the latest && greatest). I have some similar issues for
MacPPC support as well which have been waiting for me to get things cleaner.
So far, the code that implements the swapping is less than nice- I sure would
like something more like the ddi_{put,get}{8,16,32,64}{_rep} functions in
NetBSD, which could then be the better model to FreeBSD/OpenBSD and the world
about how to do this. So far, of FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD/Linux, Linux is the
only one that attempts to address this with tools for driver writers.

-matt