Subject: Re: micro-code and PCI
To: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/28/2000 23:39:58
>   Sometimes this might not be possible though (due to licensing
> problems, for example).

Yes, good point. I'm suffering from this and thus have a dummy .h file
containging basically an #error explaining what to do in my driver. The user
is supposed to copy the real microcode file from his vendor installation disk
into the microcode directory and call "make". This will turn the binary file
into a header file, replacing the one with the #error in it.

This driver will never make it into GENERIC, I guess ;-)

Of course with a well documented card you'd have better alternatives...

Martin

P.S.: As mentioned in another mail, this is only the bootstrap microcode,
the real code will be downloaded via a userland utility (calling ioctl)
later, it is subject of user configuration [in my case: which ISDN protocol
you would like to talk]. Leaving the card unconfigured and doing all microcode
later would be difficult, because only the microcode can distinguish a
four BRI interface card from a single BRI interface card. So having the
microcode run at probe time is essential for me.