Subject: Re: Kernel printf cleanup proposal
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/28/2000 13:36:03
In message <Pine.NEB.4.21.0007281146470.9040-100000@server.int.duh.org>Todd Vie
rling writes

>These changes will induce a version-letter bump, since third-party kernel
>source may make use of the old formatting characters and/or [v]sprintf().
>
>Opinions?

First, Do we really want to remove [v]sprintf permanently?  Doesn't
that make for yet more very-low-payback nuisance changes when
importing kernel source which originates elsewhere, and tracking
changes from elsewhere?  (For new netbsd-originated code, sure.)

Second: Does this change imply the "zero-fill until end of specified
length" semantics of userlevel [v]snprintf?