Subject: Re: File I/O in hardware device driver
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/28/2000 11:45:45
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Matthew Jacob wrote:

# > That is not a good thing to do.  A driver should not be opening
# > files.  That's for applications to do.
#
# For shame, Eduardo! And you know as well as I do that this is exactly
# what the kobj modules do in Solaris when they read /etc/system (and the
# .conf files).

Not, mind you, that Solaris is a shining example of how to handle kernel
to distribute without source access, but I really hope we're not headed
that direction (/etc/system, .conf files and the whole mess (isn't that
a direct hand-me-down from SVRx? (No, I'm not bitching about the SVRx,
I just want to know WHERE the hell Solaris got it -- it's not original
to Sun, is it?))).

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: the devil made me do it.