Subject: Re: rnd device
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/28/2000 14:06:34
matthew green wrote:

>    	rnd device is now almost mandatory, as we use ssh/openssh heavily
>    	and openssh does not work without /dev/urandom.
>    	GENERIC kernel for the following platform do not have rnd device
>    	in the kernel config file:
>    		bebox mvme68k newsmips sparc64
>
>    	my question is:
>    	- are there any specific reason for them to disable it?
>
> not tested?
>
>    	- does it make sense to add rnd device to them?
>
> not until they are tested.

Speaking of which, we should probably have something in regress to test
it.  Any ideas on what actually would be a good test?  You could get
exotic and graph the results in 3d to make sure that the results don't
have that planar look that PRNGs have, but that might be getting to the
overkill stage...

Simon.