Subject: Re: MI I^2C drivers
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/26/2000 22:16:17
On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 06:48:58PM +0100, Ben Harris wrote:
> How would you propose handling the case where (say) a SCSI card has an
> I^2C bus that it uses privately to connect an EEPROM containing its
> configuration?  That seems to be the current target of sys/dev/i2c.

Yes, I wrote this for the eeprom attached to the ThunderLAN-based ethernets
I have. I though it would be eventually be used for similar requirements
of other ethernet or scsi adapters, but not much more.
I'm not sure this can be handled by a real bus at all, as there doesn't seem
to be any device adress here (it was a long time ago ... I don't remember :)

> We also need some idea of the interface to the low-level driver.  The
> Acorn interfaces are bit-banged by the CPU.  How do more sophisticated

As does i2c on the ThunderLAN.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>