Subject: pty and baud rate?
To: Tech-kern <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/21/2000 08:52:47
Hello,

I want to create a "driver" for a "terminal server" in NetBSD.  This box
has an Ethernet interface and 8 serial ports.  Can I use pty's and a userland
daemon or do I need to create a real kernel device?  I want the device to
be almost identical to real tty's (I want the speed, parity, etc. ioctl's
to work so I can use "any" serial port aware software with this hack).

It seems I can set the speed for ttyp? with stty, but is it possible for
the other end of the pseudo-terminal device to receive these ioctl calls
and ask the remote box to change baud rates etc.?

If this is all possible, can I also create a bunch of pseudo-terminal
device nodes with custom names for this system (eg. while the daemon
processs is running)?

(Sigh.. I really wish I could stop the world for a year or two, so I could
take the time to learn kernel programming and a thousand other things...)

Thanks,

  -jm