Subject: Re: bin/7249
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/20/2000 20:07:27
[ On Thursday, July 20, 2000 at 16:06:46 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: bin/7249
> What's wrong with using the .so directive, and perhaps splitting out
> the definitions into smaller files?  It would solve the problem of duplicity.

Yeah, but ".so" is a nasty and unportable hack (thus soelim).  Groff
does implement ".so" internally, and adds ".mso" which would be closer
to what one would want, but I still feel it is a bad hack.  (There's
even ".pso"! ;-)

Besides there's already a link that causes "man errno" to display up
intro(2).  When you combine this fact with the goal of keeping manual
pages concise and simple, I think the best compromise is to simply list
errno values/codes that have their common meaning and to only describe
in detail those that have unique meanings for the given function.  There
could be a "SEE ALSO" entry pointing at errno(2) for pedants, I suppose.

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>