Subject: Re: IrDA
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/20/2000 17:58:03
>> What about IP over IrDA?  How does your mechanism handle something like
>> that?
>
>Well, AFAIK there's no standard for how that should be done.  There's IrLAN
>that I don't who's actually using.

There are those little things that HP sells (NetEye?) that are approximately
$200 US and do IrLAN.  Uh, well, there _used_ to be something like that ...
maybe they don't sell it anymore.

Ah, wait, I'm wrong (it was "JetEye", and it wasn't made by HP):

http://www.extendsys.com/products/infrared/jeteyenet.html

However ... I saw some pages that imply that Windows 2000 ditched IrLAN
and IrCOMM for something they created called IrNET (which there isn't
a standard for).  And I'm not completely sure this box isn't PPP over
IrCOMM (but I really do remember that the JetEye was IrLAN).

--Ken