Subject: Re: IrDA
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/20/2000 21:32:43
Jukka Marin wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 09:19:57PM +0200, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> > The irda* devices show up as /dev/irdaNN device nodes and are used
> > by the user-land IrDA driver.
> >
> > Comments?  Thoughts?
>
> Sounds pretty good to me.  :-)
>
> > If people think this looks reasonable I can probably commit some drivers
> > soon.  And we can turn the user-land programs into a package.
>
> Will you write drivers for external IrDA adapters like Ir-Mate 210 which
> connect to any serial port?  (I've got the IrMate programming doc if you
> need it.)

There will be a driver for IrDA on serial ports.  A problem is that different
adapters need to be handled slight differently when e.g. changing speed.

One way to handle serial ports is to do it all in user-land code, an alternative
is to use a different line discipline for IrDA and access it through /dev/irdaNN.
Either way, the problems above is present.

--

        -- Lennart