Subject: Re: bin/7249
To: Mike Pelley <mike@pelley.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/18/2000 14:31:22
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Mike Pelley wrote:

# You guys sure showed him.  He'll think twice before his next post.

One would hope so.

# People who suggest that Mike implied X in his original post appear not
# to have read the original message, part of which is quoted below.

Okay, that was a misread.  My comments on using a mangled lynx-alike
stand on their own merit, and I'm using _fast_ hardware.  Never mind
the folks who are actually using the otherwise obsolete hardware to
which NetBSD was ported in order to extend its lifespan.

#
# > I propose junking man pages as we know them, keeping all documentation
# > in html, and making the man command essentially a stripped-down lynx (or
# > other specialized text-based browser).
#
# It seems quite clear to me.
#
# I prefer man pages to html myself, but I think exploring the options is
# worthwhile.  The abuse, however, seems unnecessary and
# counterproductive.

You just hit the ten million credit word:  "options".

He's proposing ditching man pages in their current format.  I (and,
from the looks of it, others) find that this would be but a nonsensical
move.

And he said something about the performance argument being shot down,
after I mentioned something about "overhead".

Who generated the patently silly notion that "overhead" and "performance"
are exclusively synonymous? My hardware may be fast, and I might have 20G of
disk, but I tend to think along smaller lines (excess of disk space is not
an excuse to bloat the system -- data is a different matter).

"Overhead" is, to me, disk real estate and RAM footprint.  I'll let the
CPU sort it out.

# Mike.

				--*greywolf;
--