Subject: Re: bin/7249
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@wireless.com>
From: Jim Reid <jim@rfc1035.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/18/2000 11:17:19

    Mike> I'm afraid you didn't read or possibly didn't understand my
    Mike> post.

I'm afraid I understood it only too well.

    Mike> In fact, I consider "man" (a troff filter) to be
    Mike> mechanically just like lynx.  Don't you see why?

No. First of all, man is not a troff filter. Secondly, lynx (or some
bogus lynx-like man page browser) isn't a filter. Thirdly, the
paradigm behind troff man pages is that the formatted output can be
printed legibly. [Try doing that with web pages that were usually
written by clueless webmasters obsessed with visuals, feature-rich and
bandwith-sapping multimedia crap and similar eye-candy.]

    Mike> FWIW, all Microsoft DDK documentation is in HTML.

I see/ Because M$ does something, that automatically means it's the
best/only way do that job and the rest of the world must immediately
follow that fad. Right.

    Mike> If it was good enough for Ken and Dennis 30 years ago, is it
    Mike> -still- good enough for Ken and Dennis -today- ?

Yes. Look at the Plan9 and Inferno documentation.

    >> Someone once said that if the only tool you had was a hammer,
    >> every problem would look like a nail. Well, UNIX systems have
    >> more tools available than a just web browser.

    Mike> I'm afraid I don't understand this at all.

The only tool you seem to care or know about is a web browser. So, to
you, every problem can only be solved by making it produce data that
can be fed to said browser. [Whether that browser is the right tool
for the job or not is neither hear nor there. That's *all* you've got,
so everything has to be mangled into that paradigm.] Meanwhile there
are other tools - which you don't care about - that are more than
capable of handling the data properly. If only you knew they existed
and what they get used for.