Subject: Re: bin/7249
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <joe@js1.jsnet>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/17/2000 22:30:03
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, matthew green wrote:
>
> Then, for consistency, we must remove all hmtl from eveywhere in NetBSD,
> and, in particular, we must rid ourselves of that vile and disgusting
> html crap in /usr/pkgsrc; it is difficult to believe that the entire
> NetBSD distribution has not been completely and utterly polluted by
> association with html, ewwwwwu!  Grab the Lysol!
>
> Screw it that the rest of the world is going to html and xml, we're NetBSD!
> We're the old guard!  We keep using crap that should have been discarded
> decades ago, because Ken and Dennis like it!

It seems to me that as long as a standard format is kept to, it should be
a minor effort to make a program that can generate man pages from an html
file, and vice versa (obviously the man pages wouldn't contain, graphics,
etc.) I think the a2ps printer driver does a good job of bolding, etc. of
man pages as I recall. Hmmmm, doesn't Xman do the same thing? This should
give a basic html format to start from.  I also expect that there are html
tools that could be adapted by/for the person that is html-izing the man
pages, and as long as those of us that prefer a quick text version can
run the de-html-izer program on the files (mk.conf switch?) then everyone
should be able to be happy. Maybe a pkgsrc html-man thing for those that
want the hyperlinked/cross indexed/source tagged man page edition with
the 8x10 color glossies with a paragraph on the back of each one describing
the crime in detail.

I know that for normal use, I don't want to wait for lynx to start up,
never mind something like netscape, just to get the proper switch letter
I need for a command. Not running an up to date machine, I prefer the less
resource intensive man pages for normal use.

--
Joseph Sarkes		jsarkes@tiac.net