Subject: Re: bin/7249
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/16/2000 09:24:06
Erik E. Fair wrote
> The PR wants every error that a given system call can return in the
> man page for that system call (in section 2). I'm asking for
> discussion here as to whether that's reasonable (it is gonna be a
> maintenance headache, unless we find some automated way to produce it
> from the code paths).

I believe that a complete description of error messages for system
calls are important, especially for the less experienced programmers.
It shouldn't be too difficult, as one would build a template of
a list containing all error descriptions, using cut and paste techniques to
insert this list into the man-pages, deleting sections that are not
relevant to this call and correct those which may have different
meanings.

I relize that this still means a lot of work, but it could be done
progressively whenever a man-page needs updating.

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf@ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes