Subject: Re: Building an alternate backing store.
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org,gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@cam.ac.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/13/2000 21:52:33
In article <20000713161431.B17600@eclipsed.net> you write:
>I'm not asking for anyone to fix my problem, but I'd like to know if
>there's some architecture-independant way to do what pmap_entry()
>does that allows me to pass (as source for the memory to be mapped
>in) something *other* than a paddr_t?

Do you mean pmap_enter()?  That's concerned with physically mapping in a
page at the request of the VM system.  Unless you're planning on having
hardware assistance for your magic, that's not where you want to be.
pmap_enter takes a paddr_t because that's (roughly) what the machine's VM
hardware uses.  Unless you plan on having some seriously funky hardware
assistance for your project, you don't want to be messing with
pmap_enter().

I suspect what you actually want is somewhere in sys/uvm/uvm_pager.c, but I
don't know that area very well.

>If I'm just off my rocker, say so.

You are, at least, berking up the wrong tree.

--
Ben Harris