Subject: Re: Building an alternate backing store.
To: None <,>
From: Ben Harris <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/13/2000 21:52:33
In article <> you write:
>I'm not asking for anyone to fix my problem, but I'd like to know if
>there's some architecture-independant way to do what pmap_entry()
>does that allows me to pass (as source for the memory to be mapped
>in) something *other* than a paddr_t?

Do you mean pmap_enter()?  That's concerned with physically mapping in a
page at the request of the VM system.  Unless you're planning on having
hardware assistance for your magic, that's not where you want to be.
pmap_enter takes a paddr_t because that's (roughly) what the machine's VM
hardware uses.  Unless you plan on having some seriously funky hardware
assistance for your project, you don't want to be messing with

I suspect what you actually want is somewhere in sys/uvm/uvm_pager.c, but I
don't know that area very well.

>If I'm just off my rocker, say so.

You are, at least, berking up the wrong tree.

Ben Harris