Subject: Re: Cloning bdev/cdev devices, step one
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/12/2000 17:01:35
In some email I received from Matthew Jacob, sie wrote:

> > That creates /devices/pseudo/ipf@0:ipnat
> >
> > In /etc/devlink.tab:
> >
> > type=ddi_pseudo;name=ipf;minor=ipnat    \M0
> >
> > creates /dev/ipnat -> /devices/pseudo/ipf@0:ipnat
> > The real PITA about this approach is that whilst you're developing your
> > driver, if it causes a panic "too soon" after loading, inodes are a mess
> > in /etc, files like /etc/devlink.tab don't contain what they are supposed
> > to (or can't be parsed) and (re)booting fails leaving you with no option
> > but to boot off CD (or a "spare" partition).
>
> Yes, but it's the same as if you nuke libc.so.

No, it isn't.

You *cannot* even boot into *single user* if /etc/devlink.tab or
/etc/system or any one of those files (there are about a dozen
different and essential files) is corrupt.

In contrast, if you're missing libc.so, you can boot single user.
If you can mount /usr then you can get to /usr/sbin/static which
then gives you rcp and tar, which should be enough along with what
is in /sbin to get you going.

Darren