Subject: Re: Adding bootverbose
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Jaromír Doleček <dolecek@ibis.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/06/2000 22:15:22
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Question: as much as i'd love to have bootverbose available on install
> disks (and only there): which size impact does that have? We're already
> pretty low on space...

bootverbose is meant (AFAICS) for things, which would normally
appear, but is not interesting enough to be printed ALWAYS.
IMHO PCI interrupt routing fixup tables are good candidate
for beeing conditional on bootverbose.

e.g. debug messages could be only compiled in ifdef SUBSYS_DEBUG,
but only be printed if also bootverbose is true - this way
we can run with debug-enabled kernel and only boot with verbose
printing when needed (this is also easily sysctlable, if needed).

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
@@@@  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, damn!  @@@@