Subject: Re: Adding bootverbose
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/06/2000 11:51:06
> I'm hoping that the "normal" method of booting isn't going to eliminate
> all the stuff that we see that normally goes into dmesg, and that one
> is required to boot verbose (-v) just to see one's configuration when
> the machine comes up.

Actually, let me finally answer this part of the email.

What we should have is something *like* prtconf that can print a device's h/w
infrastructure from userland. Then you don't need or want dmesg to boot
messages just to see what is attached and functioning.

And in the hotswap case (which I'm sure we'll all get more and more to like),
this is a far better tool than boot messages.