Subject: Re: Adding bootverbose
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jarom=EDr_Dole=E8ek?= <>
From: Michael L. Hitch <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/06/2000 11:21:46
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Jarom=EDr Dole=E8ek wrote:

> > Well, in sys/arch/vax/vax/subr.s, the VAX seems to get its boothowto fr=
> > R11 on old bootloaders:
> >=20
> >         movl    r11,_boothowto                  # Howto boot (single et=
> >=20
> > On later bootloaders, it's passed in the RPB (in rpb_bootr5) (see locor=
> >=20
> >         boothowto =3D prpb->rpb_bootr5;
> Well, I did found this, just couldn't find where either r11 or prpb->rpb_=
> is initialized, i.e. if there is way for user to specify boot flags
> similar way to i386's : boot FILE -s

  The boot flags are set on the PROM monitor boot command, typically:

>>> boot/flags dka0
>>> boot/r5:flags dka0

[with a few other methods on some machines.]

  The NetBSD boot loader also parses some flags and sets the rpb_bootr5
flags (see vax/boot/boot/boot.c), so the 'v' flag can be added there.

Michael L.
Computer Consultant
Information Technology Center
Montana State University=09Bozeman, MT=09USA