Subject: Re: Adding bootverbose
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/06/2000 08:12:58
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Matthew Jacob wrote:

# > BTW,
# >
# > do people have some strong objections against adding boot verbose
# > flag ? Would make porting FreeBSD code little bit easier and
# > generally seems like good idea - could enable to compile with
# > all the debugging messages compiled in, yet still print all the
# > stuff only when needed.
# >
#
# I find it useful- there is also the same thing under Solaris.
# The idea here is to reduce the noise (a good thing) but have
# the diagnostic tools available (w/o a recompile) to write
# down messages that can go into mail or into a PR.

I'm hoping that the "normal" method of booting isn't going to eliminate
all the stuff that we see that normally goes into dmesg, and that one
is required to boot verbose (-v) just to see one's configuration when
the machine comes up.

That's one more thing about Solaris that, IMNSHO, really sucks.

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: Multi-platform OS