Subject: Re: Multiport Ethernet NICs
To: None <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/05/2000 13:52:48
>I'm looking for one or more Ethernet adapters for the i386, ISA or
>PCI, with multiple, isolated interfaces and ports.  I have a few
>Genius combined NIC and hub (five ports, one reversible) adapters
>and I'm saddened to hear that they've been discontinued.  But they
>aren't what I want.  I have a multi-homed host and I would dearly
>like fewer than the four adapters I will need really soon.  Even
>two ports per card would seem a great improvement.
>
>Naturally, NetBSD support (hm, I'm running 1.3.1 on that host, but
>I will upgrade if necessary) is of the essence.  With some help, I
>my even be able to hack up a driver.  And it is becoming progressively
>urgent :-(

	there are quad DEC-chip (tlp) cards, and dual Intel-chip (fxp)
	cards available on the market.  for example,
	http://www.adaptec.com/products/solutions/fastethernet.html

	the problem would be PCI IRQ sharing (likely to be mandatory if you
	have many pci devices), which may or may not hurt performance.

itojun