Subject: Re: port-i386/3834
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/29/2000 00:51:06
On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Erik E. Fair wrote:

# The upshot is that some filesystems require preparation at runtime
# (e.g. ccd, RAIDframe, NFS, Coda, Arla), versus the ones that are
# "just there already" like FFS, LFS, ext2fs. Perhaps our "fstab/mount"
# system should be augmented to deal with invoking runtime prep, in
# addition to just calling mount(2) with the right parameters.

I may be _way_ off base here, but I think that demodularizing the process
would be asking for more trouble than it's worth.

And actually, last I looked, NFS mounting doesn't need any prep --
you only need prep if you're running an NFS server (I've been able
to mount NFS filesystems from single-user mode with only a route).

CCD as a filesystem isn't immediately making sense to me.  Maybe,
as I suspect, "I lack vision".  Bear with me on that one, and if anyone
can provide some insight into this one, I'd appreciate it.

That notwithstanding, I stand by my opinion.  To integrate this into
fstab/mount is just begging the Irish guy with the itchy trigger finger
to be shooting us in the foot.  It's another thing to break/go wrong.

# 	just a thought,
#
# 	Erik <fair@clock.org>

				--*greywolf;