Subject: Re: Replacing the sysctl() interface.
To: None <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/28/2000 00:11:30
erh@nimenees.com wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 11:34:25AM -0400, Andrew Sporner wrote:
> > > Sounds like a file system. How about removing sysctl() altogether, and
> > > putting everything under kernfs as a file?
> >
> > So now we have to do file I/O to access this???  Isn't this a step
> > backwards???

> 	This is a bit delayed, and I'm probably sounding like a broken
> record, but each time someone mentions this I'm liking the special
> socket type idea more and more.

Ok, I'm mostly ignorant of the socket idea - so you open a socket, set
some particular socket option read back the data, right?  Doesn't this
mean that the complete reply needs to be buffered in the kernel?  Take
the kern.proc sysctl case - you copyout as much data as requested and
you're finished, nothing left for a later syscall to finish handling.

Am I missing something, or is the socket approach not suited to large
amounts of data transfer?

Simon.