Subject: RE: Shared scsi??
To: Andrew Sporner <andy.sporner@networkengines.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/20/2000 14:36:52
On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Andrew Sporner wrote:

[snip]

> Cool!  I presume also that standard ANSI sequences are used so
> that disimilar cards won't be much of a problem?

Can't comment there, but I'd assume so.

> The only experience I had with this was on Sequent Clusters
> (which used cards that were the same model and firmware) and they
> used their DLM (distributed lock manager) to regulate access to
> certain areas of the disk, but it was posible to for instance mount
> sd0a on one machine and sd0e on another machine, even though they
> were on the same disk.  I don't think they were locking out the whole but
> on a slice (or partition) level, where with tapes it was the
> entire device locked out.

That's correct.  I've used the Sequent machines a while back, and their
lock manager had a proprietary protocol which they ran over the SCSI
bus.  I'd love a similar type of thing for NetBSD...

[snip]

-Jon
 "Hey - this old machine screams like a snail on acid!" - (a true
  comment by a fellow who recently installed NetBSD on an old server)