Subject: Re: Shared scsi??
To: Andrew Sporner <andy.sporner@networkengines.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/20/2000 12:09:10
On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Andrew Sporner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What level of shared scsi is currently supported in the kernel.  What
> I mean here is the ability to have multiple hosts on a scsi bus with
> different initiators.

AFAIK, the policy is "if I don't step on your feet, and you don't step on
mine, everything will work okay."

I have two boxes which share a tape drive with no problems.  Of course,
they _never_ try to use it at the same time... I remember having both
access it at the same time, and the result was a bunch of SCSI errors and
one hung machine :-(

It would be neat to be able to have a machine mount some SCSI disks as
r/w, then have a few other machines mount them r/o, but I think there are
caching issues with this right now.

-Jon
 "Hey - this old machine screams like a snail on acid!" - (a true
  comment by a fellow who recently installed NetBSD on an old server)