Subject: Re: [network driver] Device not configured error
To: Vikram <vikram@controlnet.co.in>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/17/2000 18:12:17
On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 09:48:34PM +0530, Vikram wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>     I am trying to write a fresh network card driver for my ethernet card.
>     This is the first time I am trying to write driver on NetBSD, so pls.
> try to answer my questions.
>     I am using if_de driver as the reference driver. So most of the things
> like ...some function  calls , data structures are are still unclear to me
> about their real use.
>     I have just written attach and probe routines and tested .. it works
> even
>     1) I register my ioctl
>     2) if_start funciton
>     3) establish interrupt and
>     4) access card registers
> However
>     1) only ioctl is getting called
>     2) if_start and interrupt funcitons are not getting called.

I believe this is expected; interrupt function will only be called when an
interrupt occurs, which only occurs after sending or receiving a packet;
I guess the hardware is not ready for this at this stage.
if_start() is called when sending a packet, which 'll only occurs after
you've ifconfiged the interface up.

> and beofore the IOCTL gets called the ifconfig is saying "Device not
> configured".

What does ifconfig -a says ? Is your card listed here ?
Could you post your code ? It would help.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>