Subject: Re: 10th serial port
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/15/2000 16:05:20
On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Greywolf wrote:

> Is there *REALLY* a reason to do the CZ thing?  I mean, this is
> starting to look really ugly.  Why do you need the CZ at all?
> Why not just do the generic tty kind of thing?  Would it be THAT
> hard to figure out which tty goes to which port on which card?

A number of ports, like the alpha for instance, wire down all of the tty's
to specific device names. For insance, there's ttyB? and ttyC? for
different types of tty's. Some (vocal) developers have a strong desire to
continue that on all ports. I don't really care that much.

Other OS's, like Ultrix, have gone the route of having lots of tty's, and
having the specific tty -> major/minor mapping be site-specific. They
later went away from that. Though I don't know the details, calling
everything tty[0-9A-Za-z][0-9A-Za-z] was done, and then moved away from.

> I mean, really.  Wouldn't just plain old tty000 - ttyfff work?  i.e.
> just extend by one, maybe two?

Others have been there, and didn't like it. :-)

Take care,

Bill