Subject: Re: 10th serial port
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/15/2000 15:04:55
On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:

> I simply can't see any reason why it should be different for reall
> serial devices... We support the cyclades multi-serial port cards with
> up to 64 ports... 4 cards will give 256 serial ports and personally
> I would hate to see the highest port being called tty0255... ;-)

Well, that's what we went with. Though it's ttyCZ0255 . The reason was
that we can support more than 4 pci cards, so it's not too hard to get
more than 256 of these. Given that we'd then need three digits for
hex-numbered tty's, I decided to go with decimal. The shell script is
easier, and we aren't loosing much. :-)

Take care,

Bill