Subject: Re: ACPI
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/13/2000 08:48:42
On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 08:08:09AM -0700, Eduardo Horvath wrote:

 > > Itojun and soda-san say that there is ACPI project
 > > for the FreeBSD. Are you interested in it? I will check
 > > the implementation and contact them.
 >
 > You can also try to contact INTEL.  They have an implementation that they
 > are giving to the Linux guys.  You may be able to persuade them to publish
 > a version under a BSD-like license.

Sigh.

One of the things that's missing in this discussion is where ACPI fits
into the grand scheme of things.

ACPI is *NOT* the correct way to implement MI power management.  Instead,
we need a higher-level power management API.  ACPI would be just one
back-end to that high-level API.

It just seems silly to say "ACPI ACPI ACPI!" when so few of the supported
NetBSD platforms will actually *have* it (and would thus have to emulate
it, a pretty gnarly task).

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>