Subject: Re: unified device naming and prtconf (or similar) (was Re: tty device names for Cyclades Z)
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2000 15:45:44
According to Allen Briggs:

>While a utility to locate the ancestry of my current disk0 or tape0
>would be nice,

I thought so ;-)

>I think that this will be more interesting as we get more and more
>interesting ways of attaching similar devices.  TTY devices can
>currently come from where?  USB, PCMCIA, ISA, PCI, VME, NuBUS,
>main I/O bus (obio/IOASIC/whatever), etc.  I'm sure there will be
>more in the future.

"What he said" (TM) ;-)

I think there is little point in exporting the pathing of the device,
for the most part nobody _cares_ that /dev/tty00 is really
/dev/isa/pcmcia/com0 (or whatever).... all most people are interested
in is whether the bytes they squirt into /dev/tty00 will squirt out
the serial interface in good order.  Similarly for other devices,
mostly people need not know nor care where they are attached.
Probably the most interesting case would be network interfaces, at the
moment they do not have /dev entries (I KNOW they do on some versions
of Unix - HPUX does).  Mind you what you actually do with /dev/lan0
(or whatever) is a question for the philsophers....