Subject: Re: prtconf (Was: tty device names for Cyclades Z)
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2000 14:58:15
According to David Brownlee:

>	That would be a definite step up on what we have now.
>	How much extra work would it be to add the locator information
>	to the in-kernel decive list, and how would that interact
>	with the proposal to have a boot time kernel config interface?

``A LOT''  AFAIK adding the locator information will touch every
single driver in the tree, they all will have to stash the locator
information _somewhere_ and be told to do it.  I am not sure if all
the boot time kernel config interface is just feeding the appropriate
bits into the driver probe routine or it does something more
sophisticated.  If the kernel config interface forces an update of all
the drivers then adding locator info would be good.

With some slight changes (which are almost done) prtconf could be used
to document the running kernel's device probe parameters.