Subject: Re: prtconf (Was: tty device names for Cyclades Z)
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2000 10:47:20
According to Nathan J. Williams:

>I don't think so. It's a little bit of a neat toy, but what value does
>it actually have? It's not complete enough, without locators derived
>in some reasonable manner, to provide any interesting automation above
>and beyond manually looking at dmesg output. "foo at bar; bar at baz"
>isn't hard to look for.

Personally, I find the dmesg a bit too verbose and start to get
eyeball glaze if I am just looking for a particular device.  Also
working out what is connected to what can be challenging if you want
to know if your wd disk is connected to an isa bus or a pci bus or a
pcmcia card connected to a isa controller or a pci controller or...

I have done a little bit more work on prtconf and can pull out the
strings and config probe values.  This is not locators but better than
nothing.  _If_ we get the actual locators stashed somewhere (yes, I
have tried to get this done but without success) then prtconf can dump
the scanning of dmesg for locator info - I would much much prefer this
myself, scanning dmesg was just a kludge to get _some_ information.

I can make my source available if people are interested in kicking it
around :-)