Subject: Re: Replacing the sysctl() interface.
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Jaromír Doleček <dolecek@ibis.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/05/2000 18:29:33
itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> 	I really don't like the way freebsd did about malloc types, sysctls
> 	and kernel internal initialization ordering (based on special
> 	linker symbol).  it is too hard to track down mistakes in those
> 	declarations.  I wasted enough time debugging linker hack mistakes.
> 	I give my vote to current netbsd way than freebsd way.

I have to aggree with itojun here. I do not like the way FreeBSD
did it, at the very least. See how many times is the MALLOC_DEFINE() used
in e.g. syssrc/sys/ntfs/, they declare same values again and
again in each file.

Compared to FreeBSD style, NetBSD style seems more elegant, far less
insane, and encouradges good programming style. The *DEFINE() add just too
much unneeded "magic", add complexity and make finding dependencies
harder, at the very least.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/