Subject: Re: Replacing the sysctl() interface.
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/05/2000 12:01:10
<darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au> (Darren Reed) writes:

> I don't think I've been very clear here.  The idea is to have a "standard"
> function that would deal with all "int" (say) types of data in the sysctl
> tree.  That would deal with min/max properties.
>
> For others, where you want to confine it to being in lots of 1000 or it
> must always increase, a separate function would be called to "verify" that
> the new value is acceptable.

This feels like the Solaris kernel mechanisim for ndd(1), which isn't
a bad thing. The drivers call a function to put variables into the
namespace, with a string name, a cookie, and read/write
callbacks. There are also a standard set of callbacks for reading and
writing unconstrained basic data types (int, char, maybe string).

        - Nathan