Subject: Re: tty device names for Cyclades Z
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/05/2000 00:43:10
On Sun 04 Jun 2000 at 18:58:28 +0930, Brett Lymn wrote:
> mainbus0
>    pci0
>       pchb0 (device = 0, function = 0)
>       pcib0 (device = 1, function = 0)
>          isa0
>             com0 (irq = 4, port = 0x3f8)
(etc)

Like the device names, it would be logical to have device nodes for all
of this. It is a bit silly (to say the least) that one has to do a call
to socket(2) and use funny network protocol types, when for a disk one
merely has to open("/dev/sd0c", ...). Having it in a directory tree
structure would be the logical thing too, I think.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder   -- Ah only did well at school
\X/ land.nl      -- tae git intae an O level class tae git away fae Begbie.