Subject: Re: tty device names for Cyclades Z
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/02/2000 15:09:44
> So, the Alpha port calls the `com' serial ports "ttyCn".  I would like
> to change the i386 port to do the same (and change the current i386 port
> usage of "ttyCn" for Cyclades-Y to "ttyCYnn".

I don't care that my SCSI disks are attached to adv*, adw*, ahc*, ncr*,
siop*, or whatever.  They're sd*.  Why should ttys be different?

I'd rather see a generic tty attachment that could be a Cyclades card,
the system ports, pcmcia ports, or whatever.  They would all be ttyNNN
(or NNNN ?), and you could hardwire them into specific locations.

This is more work, and I hesitate to suggest it because I don't have
the time to put my code where my mouth is, but I think it's a cleaner
design.

-allen