Subject: Re: semconfig(2) and ipcs [sommerfeld@netbsd.org: CVS commit: syssrc]
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/28/2000 20:53:09
> Is it worth blowing away the semconfig() syscall altogether?  If the
> only reasonable user was ipcs(1), then we may not even have to worry
> about keeping the syscall for backwards compat either...

Yes, but regardless of how obscure the system call is, I wanted to
make this change in a way that didn't break kernel-user binary
compatibility.

My intention here was to:
 0) fix what was left of the wedging problem ASAP
and then, when i had a chance to do this under less time pressure:
 1) tweak ipcs(1) to stop using it
 2) move the syscall under COMPAT_14

> Also, is it worth sysctl'ing the retrieval of SysV IPC info?  ...
> Yet another setgid bit gotten rid of, and if new need to do any locking
> to ensure the integrity of the results it can be done in-kernel...

Doing this would be great.  At the moment I've got a bunch of other
things to deal with..  be my guest..

					- Bill