Subject: Re: ddb Upcoming enhancements/changes/history
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/25/2000 14:13:25
In message <Pine.NEB.4.21.0005251053190.4011-100000@mage.starwolf.com>, Greywol
f writes:
>One of the following should happen:

Your use of the word "must" is unclear to the point of confusion;
I do not know if you mean "ddb must" or "people who want deterministic
resutls out of ddb must":

>- you must prefix all initially alphanumeric hex numbers with '0x'
>
>- you must prefix any ambiguous lookup directives with the proper radix;
>	i.e. 0xdead vs "dead" (-> _dead); otherwise if there's something
>	in there that is NOT a hex digit, it should default to looking
>	up a symbol.
>
>- radix of 16 should disregard the attempt to lookup symbols (this is
>	not a practical solution, I know).

It seems to me that one of two things will happen:

a)   Ambiguous symbols will be resolved in favor of hex digits (0xdead).
b)   Ambiguous symbols will be resolved in favor of symbols (netbsd:dead).
     (do note that _dead is not meaningful in the ELF world, I think).

One will have preference.

In the instance of backwords compatibility, it seems to me that b) should
function.

--jhawk