Subject: Re: ddb Upcoming enhancements/changes/history
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/25/2000 10:59:05
On Thu, 25 May 2000, Eduardo Horvath wrote:

# > "ps" could be modified to prin the pid in the current radix.
#
# That sounds good.  Or prefix decimal with `0t' so you don't have to guess
# and possibly kill the wrong PID.

Or SOMEthing.  There's no clues that it's expecting a number of a current
radix.  You can probably imagine, given the above, my mystification and
complete puzzlement at getting:

kill: no such pid

when trying to kill the shown process!

# One other thing that bugs me is that if your current radix is 16 and you
# type in a hex number that starts with an `a'-`f' ddb will try to look it
# up as a symbol and print an error message.  I'd like it if it also tried
# converting it as hex before complaining.

One of the following should happen:

- you must prefix all initially alphanumeric hex numbers with '0x'

- you must prefix any ambiguous lookup directives with the proper radix;
	i.e. 0xdead vs "dead" (-> _dead); otherwise if there's something
	in there that is NOT a hex digit, it should default to looking
	up a symbol.

- radix of 16 should disregard the attempt to lookup symbols (this is
	not a practical solution, I know).

#
# Eduardo Horvath
#
#
#

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD:  We come in peace.  We offer reliability.