Subject: Re: ddb Upcoming enhancements/changes/history
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/25/2000 08:35:02
On Thu, 25 May 2000, John Hawkinson wrote:

>     kill 0t11

Didn't know you could specify decimal with a `0t' prefix.  It's not in the
manpage.  Could you add this stuff?

Also looking at the manpage:

    write[/bhl] address expression [expression ...]
            Write the expressions at succeeding locations.  The unit size
	    is specified with a modifier character, as per examine.  Valid
	    modifiers are: /b, /h, and /l.  If no modifier is specified, /l is
            used.

I think we need to add /L for 64-bit longs.  (It would also be nice to be
able to specify different address spaced for reads and writes so I could
directly examine physical memory.  At the moment I have a machine
extension to dump physical RAM, but for writing or devices I need to go to
PROM.)

> "ps" could be modified to prin the pid in the current radix.

That sounds good.  Or prefix decimal with `0t' so you don't have to guess
and possibly kill the wrong PID.

One other thing that bugs me is that if your current radix is 16 and you
type in a hex number that starts with an `a'-`f' ddb will try to look it
up as a symbol and print an error message.  I'd like it if it also tried
converting it as hex before complaining.

Eduardo Horvath