Subject: Re: ppp connections
To: None <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/13/2000 11:15:49
> Once the computer is connected, it still takes pretty long for them
> to actually connect to the address after the link is set-up,
> occassionally longer than my configured idle time (about 40s), so
> that the link is closed again before the application even gets to
> send something. This normally forces me to quit the app and start it
> again while the link is up.

Given exponential backoff, this shouldn't be surprising if the
configured idle time is less than several times the startup delay..

> Wouldn't it be possible to somehow do "try to retransmit all waiting
> packets when ppp link is brought up" kind of thing ?

it would be nice to be able to do that, yes..

(what would make sense in this case would be to queue the packet in
ppp until the link comes up, and then not start the tcp retransmission
timer until the packet is actually sent down the line, but that would
involve even more layer violations..).

					- Bill