Subject: Re: UserKernelConfig (PR 10057)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/09/2000 11:07:44
>>> I'd really hope that there's a way to be prompted for the name of
>>> this file (perhaps if RB_ASKNAME?), and a way to suppress it
>>> entirely (perhaps by asking for "none"?).
>> [...], I whole heartedly agree.
>> The system *must* be able to get to single user mode if any file in
>> the file system is corrupt (except for init, boot and kernel :)

...well, and /dev/console, and something shell-like. :-)  Introducing
yet another critical file may not be all that catastrophic in terms of
what can go wrong - especially if the parser for it handles errors
decently - but I still agree with Darren here.

> if single user mode is defined to exclude the parsing of this file,
> [...].  on the other hand, single user mode could be redefined to
> include this file, [...], but that would fly in the face of your last
> assertion.

I think the "single user mode" Darren was talking about does not have
to be a `normal' single-user state in that one can necessarily just
exit the shell and have it come up to full normal multi-user.  If you
boot with boot.default disabled, it may or may not work to try to go
multi-user, depending on what the lack of boot.default did to the
device autoconfig....

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca