Subject: Re: UserKernelConfig (PR 10057)
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/08/2000 18:06:26
Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net> writes:
> >* the ability to run the re-configuration program on a non-NetBSD
> >system, or a machine which isn't the same MACHINE or MACHINE_ARCH as
> >the machine whose kernel is being tweaked.  (this is actually fairly
> >important, really.)
>
> 	As I said, if we take bsdi approach it's fairly easy.  not sure
> 	if openbsd UKC (specifically config -e) addressed this.

well, except in the case of things like network booting, where you
might not have easy access to any other file system than what's in the
kernel...

> >* the ability to add new instances of devices which, e.g. you have
> >com3 at some ISA address/IRA, etc., and you want to add a new com at
> >isa at a weird address, or something...
>
> 	openbsd already did that, by adding couple of empty entires into
> 	the very last part of cfdata[].  the PR does not have this part
> 	yet.

"and then if you want a few more than that, you lose."  8-)

I'm honestly not sure what the 'right answer' here is, but it seems to
me that before we go adopting one solution or another, _somebody_
should think about it some.  8-)

it'd be good if it were also extensible to a world of loadable drivers
and loadable arbitrary configuration.  (think i like the notion of
text, parsed by the kernel, because then you can parse whatever you
need to based on what you have loaded... but i've not put much thought
into it recently.)

cgd