Subject: Re: reboot hangs
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/02/2000 06:38:48
On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Simon Burge wrote:

> I've seen this off-and-on since 1.4C.  It went away somewhere around
> 1.4H and reappeared somewhere around 1.4S.  With the debugging enabled
> in vfs_subr.c to print out busy vnodes, it's always a vnode on a MFS
> that's hung.  It seems to make sense that if the user-land mount_mfs has
> already been killed then an MFS couldn't flush any buffers, but I don't
> know why the problem comes and goes.  A couple of weeks ago I tried a
> simple ignoring of vnodes that were of type VT_MFS but that didn't work
> (I've forgotten exactly what happened).

I got the same thing on my mac68k system, but not on several i386s of
the same kernel vintage.  On the mac68k, I've looked with fstat to see
what file(s) were open, and nothing shows up.  But I still can't umount
/tmp.

I've discovered that a umount -f /tmp does work, though, as does
dropping down to single user first - I guess that ends up killing the
mount_mfs process.

|   Paul Goyette  | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer|  BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| & kernel hacker |  91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |